Last time I checked in, it was to post that line art to SVG tutorial. A few folks seemed to like that one. I hope it helps. I’m also glad to have it handy as my own reference so I don’t have to try re-inventing the wheel next time I need to do that. The tutorial was part and parcel of the larger creative project I was working on, an illustration of So’Thazrael. For aesthetic reasons, I wanted to try carving the image into wood.
One thing led to another, as they do with me. I acquired a few more tools. I located a source of free wood. And, apartment dweller that I am, I managed to talk my way into some shop space. The catch is that it needs some issues taken care of to make it a suitable woodworking shop. Luck has been with me, and it seems that even the finances of getting a decent shop set up aren’t out of reach. Maybe. Continue reading “Tangled webs woven, and all that”
This one’s mainly for the hand routered signs crowd, but maybe someone else will get some use out of this, too.
Let’s just say you’ve got a picture of some line art you want to blow up really big for a sign. I’m using GIMP 2.8, which is free, but the same basic options probably work just about the same in other graphics programs.
For now, I’ll just doodle a squiggly spiral so I’ll have some line art. Continue reading “Using GIMP to enlarge”
I’ve still got to improve my touch with the Dremel tool, and it would help to consider just how much detail to incorporate for that very reason, but I’m getting there. I thought a silver acrylic might look nice, but I’m not sold. As these practices on oak scrap progress, I’ll probably try using different colors for different bits of the outline just to see how they work. This time next week I should be trying this with the Dremel plunge router accessory with a 60 degree bit to see how that goes.
I’ll find the right combination of techniques to bring this together eventually.
Still not ready to contemplate carving in full relief.
Creative task accomplished for the evening, which was no mean feat considering I’ve been down for the count levels of under the weather for the last three days. My scattered waking hours these last couple of days have been spent listlessly poking at clay, hating what I’d accomplished, and starting over. What I finally salvaged from that is the next post.
Tonight was another stab at coming up with some structure for my writing. Winging it certainly wasn’t doing the trick for me before, though I did come up with some useful tidbits. According to the haphazardly chosen “steps to writing a story” article I found (h/t only if I succeed with the effort), my first step should be to get the basic story down in its barest, skeletal structure. What I’ve got is somewhat beefier than a mere outline, at least at the beginning. Midway I resort to some formula to guide the story along its trajectory, and everything is still very generic. Characters aren’t yet named. The types of encounters haven’t yet been decided, just the loosest parameters for them. What happens in between each segment remains a mystery. The end grows quite a bit clearer than that. Here there be spoilers, should anyone actually care about that and want to quit while the quittin’s good.
I can only suppose that if my outline-of-sorts is already at 1200 words, I’m clearly out of short story territory. Hrm.
Lost in the Lost Hills
Sothazrael (Thaz for short), is a novice Fire Ranger on his first solo patrol in this part of his homeland, Nyarlathalas, home to the Woodlore Elves who count among their number Enchanters, Carver Elves, Carpenter Elves, Milling Elves, and Logging Elves, as well as the Fire Rangers. Continue reading “Lost in the Lost Hills (spoilers at the end)”
I’ve got the details I want on the floor and one wall. One more wall to go. 28 mm figure for scale to show how well it works with 1.25″ squares and one-inch walls. Also decided to forego grid on the floor space since the tile itself acts as a 2×2 grid. It should still be easy enough to suss out range and movement.
While I’m waiting for a chance to get more plaster for the cave entrance terrain, I may as well try a new approach to my dungeon tile design. Here’s the flagstone and brick wall sculpt in progress using Wyloch’s 1.25″ grid. So far I’m really liking the way this is turning out.